Tuesday, July 15, 2008

FOs, cast-ons, and failed projects

So, first, the falling water scarf is done. Yay!

Second, I spent quite a bit of time over the weekend trying to figure out what I wanted to do next. I want to make a shrug, since I think it'd be a practical garment, but I discovered this weekend that the needles I have above size 8 (a 9, and a 9.5) are completely unsuited to lace, or at least to the Retro Redux Shrug. The points just don't work for k2togs with thick yarn. So, in the end, I settled on the Montego Bay scarf again, this time with dental-floss weight yarn, and ignoring the pattern to do my own thing. Much easier. I still want to make the shrug, but I don't really have the cash for more needles right now.

I did get some new books. Victorian Lace Today and Knitting Lace Triangles. I love the pictures in VLT, and wow do I want to make the huge circular shawl, even though it would take me FOREVER. I also like all the edgings.
Knitting Lace Triangles is very nice, and it sets out how to make a triangle and the lace patterns and such very well. I would actually recommend this over VLT for a beginner.

I give you lace pr0n.
Finished Object


Works in Progress


Frogged attempts


No comments: